Our plan to keeping operations safe during these unprecedented times
Guidelines for Operations
In accordance with the order of the Provincial Health Officer and WorkSafe BC, we have developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan that outlines the policies, guidelines and procedures that we have put in place to reduce the risk of transmission.
- As per the guidance of the provincial health officer and the BC Centre for Disease Control, we advise anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last ten days, who is under the direction of the provincial health officer and / or who has arrived from outside Canada should self-isolate for a period of 14 days.
- We have adjusted staffing levels, and tent turn-around times between rentals to allow for enhanced cleaning and sanitization of gear as applicable.
- We have established occupancy limits for each tent and to minimize exposure we are limiting each rental to one family group / unit.
- To manage expectations, we ensure that clients are aware of our policies and protocols prior to arriving to a tent rental handover. We send this information out via email and these requirements communicated through various digital marketing channels.
- We do not accept cash payments at this time, and request that all clients pay for their rental in full, online, prior to their rental. When taking the rental security deposit, we ask that the client reads out their card details for us to enter directly into our system. The card does not exchange hands.
- Recognizing that our clients are often travelling to remote locations, we recommend that all of our clients limit their exposure to remote communities, and that they be careful to avoid unnecessary interactions. We actively stay abreast of any current precautions being taken in the region and we fully respect the wishes of Indigenous leaders and communities. Upon planning a rental with us we will request to understand your intended route and will strongly advise against travel in any restricted locations.
Face to Face Interactions with Clients: Tent Fitting for Rental / Sale
- Tents are fitted using our winch system which is operated by one member of the VIRTT team.
- We only meet with clients in outdoor spaces and always maintain physical distancing.
- Hand sanitizer, disposable gloves and masks are available at every face-to-face interaction.
- We request that everyone where a mask for the duration of the meeting and at the beginning and end of the session everyone use the provided hand sanitizer.
- When handling the tent / overland gear we request that the person use the provided hand sanitizer immediately before and after contact.
- During each face-to-face visit we request that the staff member and client verbally attest to the fact that the tent is handed over clean and sanitized.
- For rentals, the use of the equipment is limited to one group of clients at a time and all equipment is cleaned and disinfected between use.
- For rentals, clients are provided with disinfectant, cloths and wipes so that they are able to wipe down the interior prior to returning the tent to the member of staff.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Protocols
Prior to renting out a tent VIRTT staff complete rigorous cleaning and disinfecting. Special attention is given to high-touchpoint areas and surfaces. The roof top tent cover, zippers, ladder and fabric / waterproof mattress is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between each client. As a business, we ensure that all staff are fully trained on these cleaning protocols, and we are ensuring that adequate cleaning supplies are available at all times.
Who can be at the workplace:
Our policy ensures that workers and others and clients that are showing symptoms of COVID-19 are prohibited from providing / accepting our services. Prior to staff attending work, and prior to clients meeting with staff, we ask that everyone complete the following questionnaire:
- Have you been experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days? Note: symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and new muscle aches or headache.
- Have you had close contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- Have you been directed by Public Health to self-isolate?
- Have you travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
If the client, or staff member answers yes to any of the above questions they agree that they will not attend the vehicle / tent rental handover and in the case of a client, services will be postponed – free of charge – until they are fit to accept the service.
Addressing Illness at the Workplace
If staff are feeling sick they should report it to Sam or Abbie Morris in person or via telephone / email, even if they have mild symptoms.
Upon reporting themselves as sick they will be asked to wash and sanitize their hands and they will be provided with a mask and isolated. They will be asked to return straight home and told to consult the BC COVID-19 self assessment tool or call 811 for further guidance relating to testing and self isolation. If the staff member is severely ill, we will call 911. We will clean and disinfect any surfaces that the ill worker has come into contact with.